|Kee Zhang with Gula Melaka Syrup|
Lye water rice dumpling
(Make 40-45 mini size)
- 1 kg of glutinous rice
- 1 lye rock
- 90pcs of dumpling leaves or more ( I used 2 leaves to wrap one dumpling)
- Dried grass straw
- Soak the dumpling leave & dried grass straw one day before the dumpling making.Use a cloth to clean the leaves before wrapping.
- Wash the glutinous rice till the water is clear.
- Dissolve the lye rock with some hot water.
- Pour the lye water to the washed glutinous rice and give a good stir. Soak it overnight.
- To wrap a dumpling, take 2 dumpling leaves and form a cone.
- Fill up the cone with the Glutinous rice.
- Wrap the dumpling and tie it tightly with the grass string.
- Once wrapping is done, Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Immerse the dumpling in the boiling water, make sure all dumplings is cover by water.
- Boil for 2 hrs. Remember to add in water to cover the dumpling every 30-45mins.
- Bring out the dumpling from the pot and hang cool for at least 1 hr before serving.
Kee Zhang tastes bland. Some of you serve it with KAYA, Honey or Sugar. I love to have my Kee Zhang with Gula Melaka syrup. Making the syrup is simple. You take a pcs of gula melaka and cut them into small pcs. Add in some water to boil and dissolve it under low fire.