Chawanmushi is an egg custard dish found in Japan. Unlike many other custard, it is savory and usually eaten as a dish in a meal. This savory egg custard is made of an egg mixture and flavored with soy sauce, dashi and mirin with other ingredients such as mushrooms, japanese fishcake, shrimp. This dish is very similar to our chinese steamed eggs but the topping may be often differ. I will prepare it for my kids quite often as they love this dish a lot.
Chawanmushi ~ 杯子蒸蛋
(For 2 big cups)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of mirin
- 4g of dashi granules
- 200ml of water
- 1 chicken fillet (Cut into small pcs)
- A handful of mushrooms
- 4 crab sticks
- 4 gingko nuts
- Crack the 2 eggs into a bowl. Add in the soy sauce & mirin and beat mix well using a pair of chopsticks.
- Dissolve the 4g of Dashi Granules with 200ml of water.
- Add the dashi stock into the egg mixture and mix well again.
- Place chicken fillet, mushroom, crabsticks & Ginko Nuts in the cup.
- Pour the egg mixture into the cup using a sieve till it is 3/4 full.
- Cover the cup using cling wrap and send them into a preheated steamer to steam for 15mins under medium high fire.
*** Ingredient to place in the chawanmushi can be change to your preference.
*** I got my Dashi (10small pack of 4g Dashi granules) from Daiso.
*** Steaming time may varies depend on the size of your Chawanmushi cup.
|Do you want to have some too?|