Ginkgo are found in some Chinese desserts like Ginkgo Barley, Snow fungus with Ginkgo & red dates. Ginkgo should be consumed in small quantities, normal people try not to consume more than 10 cooked/raw Ginkgo each day. They are believed to ease asthma, bronchitis & urinary tract ailments. I get my source of information here. We can get ready consume Ginkgo (in CAN form/vacuum packed) easily in the supermarket nowadays but I still prefer to prepare it from myself at home and store it in my freezer for my sweet desserts. This is my 4 hours of hard work for 1 kg of fresh Ginkgo.
- 1kg shelled ginkgo
- Remove the shells.
- Remove the core, it taste bitter if u don't remove it. U can cut it almost 1/2 to remove it or use a tooth pick to poke thru the middle to remove it.
- Boil a big pot of water. Soak the ginkgo in it for 3-5 mins. This step helps to remove the skin easily.
- Last, cook the de-skinned gingko in a pot with enough water to cover them & add in about 10 tablespoon of sugars. Boil it for 30 mins under low fire.
- Let it cool down and store it into air tight container in freezer for later use.
My hubby asked why should I tired myself with this when I can get the ready made ginkgo in most supermarkets? My replied: Home made is still the best! No complain for doing it for my loved ones! Pls cherish every single bite of the food I prepared.
- You can get the gingko nuts from chinese medical hall or chinese provision shop
- During Chinese new year is Gingko best season. You can make more to keep for later use.